The City of Yellowknife calendar may not reflect all event cancellations and updates at this time. As the situation around COVID-19 continues to evolve, the City encourages residents and event organizers to follow the latest guidelines on public gatherings in Yellowknife. The health, safety and wellbeing of all community residents and our staff is the City's top priority. Find more information on what the City is doing on our COVID-19 page.
Our world has changed due to COVID-19, but one thing holds true – the Alzheimer Society of Alberta and Northwest Territories remains committed to supporting people living with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia and those who care for them.
We are asking you to get creative and Walk Your Way so we can continue to offer the vital programs and services that are needed for people living with dementia in our communities. We are challenging our walkers to be as creative as possible – and have fun - while respecting current public health and safety guidelines!
What do you do?
- Register to walk! It is free to participate, but we encourage fundraising if you can!
- Be creative - consider how you can enjoy your walk at home. We have several silly ideas to make it more fun!
- Create some buzz online ahead of time - take a video of yourself walking (or doing something else active that's creative and fun) and share it on social media to help us encourage others to participate. Tag us in your videos (@dementiaab_nt) and use the hashtag #WalkForAlz to show your support. Issue a challenge in your video to others in your life to do the same!
- Ask anyone who can to pledge a donation towards your walk.
Here are some ideas to Walk Your Way!
- Be creative and have fun at home. Decide what your walk looks like to you - it can be walking, jogging, jumping, dancing, baking, gardening, or anything you choose.
- Plan ahead – we would love it if you sent us a video of your version of the walk before the last weekend of May so we can share it on social media and inspire others to get involved.
- Use your Fitbit, smartphone, or step tracker, and create a new category just for the walk. Perhaps you will pledge to walk 10,000 steps in your living room! Log your steps and challenge friends to match your steps using social media. Ask them to tag us as well!
- Dress up your dog, or your child, or yourself and video yourself being active. Show the world a preview of how you'll be "walking" at home on May 30 and challenge your friends to do the same!
- Do a funny Monty Python-esque walk around your home, and challenge your friends to top it.
- Create an obstacle course or do a funky dance in your home, then share it as a video online on social media.
- Challenge your friends to see who can climb the most stairs.
- Your dog can help fundraise, too! Take it out for extra walks!
- Record a personal message of support, let us know why you will be walking, and pledge your support in a simple video.
- Just simply put on your shoes on May 30 and walk!
The funds you raise through the Walk allow us to deliver vital programs and services for over 46,000 Albertans and Northwest Territorians living with dementia who depend on them. The awareness you help us spread is critically important - so many people are still living with dementia and are struggling to adapt to the new normal. The need is greater than ever and your support is even more important.
Now more than ever, social connection – even from a distance – is critically important for people with dementia and their care partners. Alzheimer Societies across Canada continue to deliver programs and services to those who depend on them and where necessary, will modify services through online opportunities. Walk with us and show you care!
Stay tuned for more exciting details and fundraising ideas!
Date and Time:Sunday, May 30, 2021 10:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Add to Calendar
Address:Wherever you choose! Walk Your Way!
- Animal Licence Look-up
- Applications, Forms, Licenses and Permits
- Apply for a Building Permit
- Apply for a Development Permit
- Bids and Tenders
- Building Permit Status and Fees
- Building Permit Upload Submittals
- Business Directory
- Career Opportunities
- Check Council Calendar
- CityExplorer (Interactive Maps)
- Click & Fix YK
- Contact Tracing Form (City Facilities)
- Development Permit Status and Fees
- Development Permit Upload Submittals
- Open Data
- File Transfer website
- Pay All Tickets
- Pay/Search Utilities & Taxes
Hours of Operation
Winter Hours effective following the Labour Day Weekend
until prior to the Victoria Day Weekend (September to May)
Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: Closed
Summer Hours effective following the Victoria Day Weekend
until prior to the Labour Day Weekend (May to September)
Monday to Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: Closed
Mailing Address & Phone Numbers
Yellowknife City Hall
4807 - 52 Street, P.O. Box 580, Yellowknife, NT X1A 2N4
Switchboard - (867) 920-5600
Mayor/City Administrator - (867) 920-5634
Booking Clerk - (867) 669-3457
Municipal Enforcement (MED) - (867) 920-5630
After Hours (MED) - (867) 920-2737
After Hours (Public Works) - (867) 920-5699